Thursday, October 16, 2008

New Walking Shoes by Stacy

So, the last two weekends I have walked 10-11 miles. After the walk, my feet really hurt. Obviously, I am not nieve to the fact that my feet are going to hurt after walking for 20+ miles in one day but I was a little concerned that they were hurting so bad after only 10 miles. I started to think that maybe my shoes are not right for the walk. (In 2004, I went and got shoes fitted for my feet and I had no blisters). So, I gave in and bought new walking shoes last night. I know that you are supposed to train in your sneakers that you are going to wear during the walk but the more I thought about it, the more I thought I should actually get the right shoes for my feet. I didn't really realize that they make different shoes for different types of feet. Apparently, I have wide front and a narrow heal with high arches. I ended up going to New Balance because they specialize in this. And another thing that I thought was interesting was that he recommended running shoes. I thought that I would need a walking shoe but he said that walking shoes are heavier than running shoes and there were other differences as well. I didn't know all that. So, we will see how they work out on my walk this weekend. Happy Walking!

1 comment:

Karen Ann said...

I need new shoes, too. My are still comfy but are reaching the end of their life. I don't want to break in new shoes on the walk!

I'm also double-socking it this year...